Saturday, May 24, 2014

#11 Hackschooling makes me happy: Logan LaPlante at TEDxUniversityofNevada

Hacking is not only to hack someone's computer, it also has a meaning of creating innovative something new such as products, markets, categories, and so on by cutting the existing those preconceived ideas, like Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerburg did.

This 13 years old kid, Logan LaPlante, is trying to hack the new educational standard which is taking a home schooling and disseminated his idea through the TED talk.
Actually, Logan does not go to any school, instead he is taking a home schooling.
Before I watched this video, I had a negative image against a home schooling because I thought taking a home schooling was not enough to improve social skills.
But,  I was convinced that I did not know about positive affects of home shoaling at all.

At the beginning of his talk, he said, "I've been watching TED videos for as long as he can remember.  But I never thought I'd make it on stage so soon".
As he mentioned on his speech, typical teenagers are interested in video games, how to get her/him to like me, and worthless worries rather than watching TED talks.
At least, I had never willingly watched this kind of videos when I was in middle school and high school.
Our common topics were just about TV shows, who was the coolest and hottest, and some gossips.
I learned a lot which include both of academic knowledge and social skill from schools.
But, I've realized that  even if I would have all As on my grades, those records were valuable only in schools and for college application processes.  No body cares about our grades in schools after we graduate school and become a member of society.

As a matter of fact, I have never been asked my grades and scores by my customers and clients.
I think that many adults including me have noticed that a lot of knowledge which is taught in schools is not useful in a real work environment.

Also, almost all typical teenager may not willingly have a presentation at the front of many people, much less on the public space.
Even many adults tend to be nervous before a presentation, but Logan seemed like he had a confidence and was dignified attitude.
I couldn't believe that he was still 13 years old.

He has already known that what his future vision is and what he should learn for it.
He is not passive at all and I think this is a side effect of a home schooling.
On regular schools, students are apt to be passive because teachers give them homework, assignments, agenda, and tests.
On the other hand, students who are taking a home schooling are able to choose their interest subjects and to decide their own goals.

I cannot say either regular school systems or home schooling systems is better than another.
But, I can say from my experience that passive people will never be successful in the real work environment.


No comments:

Post a Comment